Hands down across all genres, my absolute favorite album of the year is this debut release from newly-formed pop/rock band, TOY. It has literally NOT left my car cd player since I got it Monday night until now when I have to look at it to make sure that I’ve got everything right from it for this review.
Rarely does an album come along that grabs you and takes hold of you like this one! How do I begin to describe it and do it the justice that it deserves? If you take the best parts of Evanescence, Lady Gaga, and Florence & The Machine, then created something new and original from those musical influences, you would then have TOY. At least, what I think best describes them! They are high energy, dance, rock, pop, electronic with a dark, edgy sound.
TOY is comprised of 4 members: Alana Grace (lead vocals, guitar, keys), Spencer Bastian (guitar, bass, vocals), Christian Meadows (lead guitar), and Ryan Folden (drums). For more in-depth information on TOY, please see this article: http://focusonthe615.com/2011/12/10/a-closer-look-toy-episode-1-and-welcome-matt-williams-to-the-site/
All songs on the album are original and written by TOY.
Full Track List:
1) “Uh Oh”: This one put me most in mind of Lady Gaga, but they aren’t trying to imitate. Uptempo, dancy, edgy.
2) “Ghost”: Dark, uptempo, and my favorite lyrically. One of my favorites overall. I can listen to this one over and over without tiring.
3) “Give It To Me”: Again, uptempo, high energy…another that I don’t tire of hearing. Best listened to in the car where you can crank if WAY up and not disturb the neighbors!
4) “Music Box”: Dark, melodic, and hard rock edginess at it’s best.
5) “Traffic Signs”: This one starts with a lot of electronic adds and build-up to the actual song. Very dark and edgy. Almost a tribal sound. Enthralling–lyrically and musically.
6) “Flying High”: My absolute favorite off this album! Uptempo, electronic, dance, rock…builds up to a frenzy. Even better live! Watch the video of this below and listen to the crowd being built into a frenzy midway through as they scream with excitement.
7) “Night Hunters”: This one makes me want to get up and dance. Seriously, there’s not a weak one on the album. Not one!
The only downside for me was I wanted MORE than 7 songs on this album. It’s just that good! It left me wanting much more and I want to see them live again soon. They are riveting, charismatic, high energy, and a breath of fresh air. If you like pure and powerful vocals mixed with excellent musicianship, deep & thought-provoking writing, then TOY is for you! THIS is a band that is better experienced live. The album is GREAT, the live show will blow you away! It is like a tidal wave of energy flowing over the room when they take the stage. Your attention will be captured and held until they leave the stage, which you don’t want to happen. This band is going places!
Anyway, my point is GET THE ALBUM! Request it from their site and if they come to a town near you, GO! You won’t be disappointed! Enough said.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars. An absolute must-have!