In December, Focus was able to cover the Waylon Jennings Tribute at the SiriusXM station in Nashville promoting the new tribute Album, “Waylon: The Music Inside Vol. II.” Well, now we got a chance to finally hear it! And it’s everything a true country fan could hope for.
Blending classic Waylon tunes with more contemporary production, the album features 11 songs covered by some great country names. Each artist pays wonderful tribute to the legend, while making the song distinctively his or her own.
One highlight of the album includes Mama by Jessi Colter, a heartfelt song she performed at the tribute that almost had Bocephus choking up. Jewel covers a beautiful version of Dreaming My Dreams with You, and Colt Ford puts his own rap spin on Only Daddy That Will Walk the Line.
Other standouts include Lonesome, Onry, and Mean by Dierks Bentley, I Ain’t Livin’ Long Like This by Justin Moore, and Love of the Common People by Josh Thompson. Each of these sounds as though the artist cut the original. I could certainly hear any of these songs making their way into these artist’s respective set lists.
Albums like this are a great way to introduce contemporary country fans to music they may not listen to. Sure, country has transformed over the years, but what better way to bridge the gap between the newer material and the material that paved the way. Not to mention, we’re keeping Waylon’s memory alive and well.
The album will be available for pre-order January 24, and in-stores February 7.
Waylon: The Music Inside Vol. II track listing:
1. Lonesome, Onry, and Mean – Dierks Bentley
2. Waymore’s Blues – Hank Williams Jr.
3. Good Ol’ Boys (Dukes of Hazzard Theme Song) – Montgomery Gentry
4. I Ain’t Livin’ Long Like This – Justin Moore
5. Bob Willis is Still the King – Jack Ingram
6. Only Daddy That Will Walk the Line – Colt Ford
7. Rainy Day Woman – Pat Green
8. Love of the Common People – Josh Thompson
9. Mama – Jessi Colter
10. Dreaming My Dreams With You – Jewel
11. A Long Time Ago – Wyatt McCubbin